Saturday, December 1, 2012

TOO BROKE FOR CHRISTMAS ? PART 5

MY FAVORITE EASY & CHEAP HOLIDAY MEAL

 

                                                                                                                                                       
 
Last year for the first time ever I had only one person to spend Thanksgiving with. That lucky person was my youngest son. : )
 
Since there was just the two of us we decided it was ridiculous to cook the usual large turkey and even a turkey breast seemed too big and we didn't want to fuss. Neither of us felt like going out for dinner either.
 
I thought of one of our favorite meals that I make now and then - a turkey roast - just the right size for two , microwave mashed potatoes, canned vegetables, and we added canned cranberries, Stove Top Stuffing, store bought rolls that we tossed in the oven and pies from the bakery.
 
It was a wonderful day! instead of slaving in the kitchen I  put the turkey roast in the oven in its own  disposable tin foil pan ( no soaking or scrubbing required after dinner) that is also home to a lot of delicious gravy! It takes 2 and 3/4 hours to cook so guess who was watching the Macy  Thanksgiving  Day parade with her feet up?
 
After 2 and 1/2 hours I wandered into the kitchen and whipped up the the rest of the too darned easy food. : )
 
It took less than 10 minutes to clean up after dinner
and then it was time for movies - NO FOOTBALL! YAY!
 
The turkey roast is A bit over $3 and altogether dinner cost $13 - for two - and there were leftovers.
A perfect dinner and the easiest, most peaceful Holiday Dinner I ever experienced!
 
This year my other two sons joined us for Thanksgiving and I bought 3 turkey roasts and 2 microwave mashed potatoes : ) . After nuking the potatoes I emptied both  containers into a casserole dish and put them in the oven to keep warm. No one minded - everyone enjoyed the meal. One son pointed out that since none of us liked dark meat or drumsticks a turkey would be a waste. ( their father used to take care of that)

My only problem - football was back. : (

Blessings, Gilly

P.S. Will I do it again on Christmas? Stay tuned to find out.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  

1 comment:

My Little Home and Garden said...

It sounds like everything worked out beautifully for you. That's what counts! As for leftovers, I love them; it's a bonus meal or two already prepared.