Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Gratitude Can Improve Your Life And Hopefully Mine

You can read about my being challenged to be grateful further down in this post. But first:
Gratitude is a wonderful tool that really can improve our lives if we use it on a daily basis. First, while we are thinking about what we are grateful for we will feel good. Seriously, it puts us into a good mood.
The best part though is being grateful actually brings more things for us to be grateful for. This works quickly too. My favorite method is to write down 10 things that happened during the day that I am grateful for. This might seem difficult at first, especially if you had a bad day. That's when we really need to think about the good things we have in our lives. Friends, family, a job, an income, a place to live. There's five and here's five more. A favorite program, the music you love, a good movie, that great cup of coffee after dinner, a good meal.
If you don't have some of those things then think about what you do have.
Think about those little things that happen during the day, someone smiling at you, holding a door, giving you a compliment.

If you want more good things to happen in your life - the secret is to appreciate everything.



I had planned yesterday to write about gratitude today but I admit I wasn't feeling very grateful this morning. Our mailbox was destroyed by the plows yesterday - no big deal; we've lived here for over 30 years and this is the first time it happened. My son has had it happen twice in less than a year so I guess I'm grateful it hasn't happened before. Then last night I found our basement flooded! Ack! It seems there is a block in the pipe to our septic system. OK, this a tough one and it did slow me up but I know I cannot afford to give in to self pity, the why me?, why right before the holiday when I have a lot to do and a lot of people coming?

Thoughts like that will only make me feel worse and attract more negative events into my life.

Why make a bad situation worse? So, I am grateful that my son is working on the problem, and I know that sooner or later it will be fixed. (Sooner I hope!) I am grateful for my son being willing to deal with it and knowing how. I am grateful he could take the time off work to do this and I am VERY grateful I am a woman and don't have to do it. LOL

In the meantime if anyone wants to send me some positive energy I will be very GRATEFUL!

Blessings, Gilly
PS Thinking about all I have to be grateful for has honestly made me feel better.

No comments: