Saturday, December 15, 2007

Who Took The Pink Out Of Christmas?

I'm a pink person, always have been. As a child my father always painted my room pink, as a bride my new husband painted our first kitchen pink. Through the years he refused to sleep in a pink bedroom but kept on painting each new kitchen pink while I continued to wear pink, and plant pink roses, and be attracted to most things pink.

Pink was considered a color for little girls for the most part, and not truly acceptable for the home. I was pushing it with my pink kitchen but treasured every bit of pink I could manage to sneak into my life. For decades I had to make do with pink in my kitchen and garden; it was out of favor and almost impossible to find even knick knacks in my favorite color.

Then along came Shabby Chic! Quickly followed by Romantic Homes! I was in Pink Heaven. Suddenly I was able to find the things I had always longed for, slipcovers and comforters bloomed with pink roses, pink lace trimmed pillows were everywhere, along with little pink lamps, dishes, and anything else I could think of.

Christmas came and I was delighted to find a vast variety of pink holiday decorations. After all, they were perfect for my pink littered living room. Since I love crafts and do a fair amount of them, every year I bought pink silk poinsettias which I used lavishly. I put them on my tree and garlands and made floral arrangements and had a happy pink Christmas.

A few weeks ago I went shopping for this years pink poinsettias with wonderful plans and ideas for a lovely arrangement in a large shabby chic pressed tin cone. Ack! None in the dollar store! None in the craft stores, or Wal Marts or Rite Aid. We tried one last craft store, a very large one, and here was purple, lavender, blue, gold, copper, peach, red, white, but NO PINK! I knew I was in trouble. As I stood there helpless and hopeless, I watched my daughter in law buying some white poinsettias and FLASH! I remembered that I had a can of floral spray. PINK floral spray that I had never used. I quickly grabbed bunches of white poinsettias and with renewed hope for a pink Christmas headed home.

The next day I spread out plastic garbage bags on a table in my back room and started spraying my flowers. It worked, those white poinsettias turned pink. Sort of a pink miracle happening right in front of me. The only downside was that the paint smelled HORRIBLE! And though I had closed the door to the rest of the house that smell traveled everywhere, all through the downstairs, upstairs, and even the basement reeked. I found my husband watching the news with a handkerchief over his nose and mouth and he wanted to know " what did you do?" Fortunately, the smell dissipated in about 20 minutes. A LONG twenty minutes. And the flowers look lovely. And my big beautiful pressed tin cone has a gorgeous PINK Poinsettia floral arrangement. But, what will I do next year?

No comments: