Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Couple of Funny Pregnancy Memories

This is not the usual sort of thing I write about but my friend Melissa, at http://patiencetherapy.com/ is soon to give birth and has asked for some funny stories about pregnancy for her Patience Therapy Carnival this week so here goes:

I was trying to think of something funny about my pregnancies but lets face it; there isn't too much humour in all those symptoms we endure for nine months. The only funny thing I remember happening during a pregnancy is with my first one when I was about four or five months pregnant.

I answered the door to be greeted by a salesman who asked me if my Mother was home. I was young enough to be upset at being taken for a "kid" when I was so obviously grown up. I always looked young for my age and was tired of the teasing, and constant incidents such as being asked to wear make up at work to make me look older. Being married, living in our own apartment and noticeably pregnant; I thought I finally qualified as a bona fide adult and had assumed I now looked it. Needless to say, he made no sale.

I didn't think it was at all funny, but my husband, who was unfortunately home at the time, had a very good laugh and never let me forget that incident.

I think this qualifies as an embarrassing memory more than a funny one, but maybe it will give you a laugh.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


OK, I guess I also have a funny ( I hope) story about my second pregnancy.

My husband and I had left our three year old son with his doting grandparents and having a rare day to ourselves. It was the sixteenth of December and although I had an appointment with my doctor for a check up ; we decided to go Christmas shopping for awhile first. Then, after the doctor we would go out to eat, (a rare treat at the time) and then more shopping.

My due date was not until the second of January and I felt fine so my doctor and I were both pretty surprised when the examination turned up a little fact I was unaware of. I was in labor! Advanced enough that my doctor insisted I was to go straight to the hospital!

Frankly I was really ticked off. It ruined my lovely dinner and shopping plans which would have been much more fun than giving birth. Don't get me wrong; I wanted the baby, was looking forward to having it, but not when I was in shopping mode for goodness sakes! Couldn't this kid get the dates right? Or at least wait until tomorrow after mommy had had some fun and finished Christmas shopping?

My doctor and husband weren't at all cooperative with my plans, so I soon found myself in the hospital , without my dinner, without Christmas presents, but also without any pain. Imagine that! I had a totally pain free labor and delivery! I never felt a thing. The doctor had no explanation for this but I understood. My baby was making it up to me for ruining my shopping trip. Or maybe he (it was a boy) just didn't want to take a chance on irritating me any further. After all; it's important to start such a close relationship off on good terms and he might have been afraid I would hold a grudge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Women are more likely than men to suffer from depression, especially during their reproductive years. Rates of depression are higher where stressful circumstances exist such as poverty, lack of education, sexual inequality, poor social support and in pregnancy. Single and adolescent pregnant women are especially at risk. http://www.xanax-effects.com/

Anonymous said...

Great work.