Sunday, January 27, 2008

Odor Control with Vanilla

This is the time of year, at least here in the northern U.S. , that our closed up homes can get - well- smelly. Fresh air is great for keeping our homes smelling nice and clean but that isn't an option in January.
Those cooking, pets, smoke, and musty odors can become a problem. Commercial air fresheners are usually overpowering and only mask the odors. I think they just add to the problem.
My easy, thrifty, solution is Vanilla. I discovered this by accident and am so pleased with it that I had to share it. Vanilla just seems to devour odors and leaves us with a nice, gentle, natural scent instead.
I had vague memories of people using small bowls of Vanilla extract to eliminate odors and experimented with it and it does work. Then I tried scented candles and they work too. Vanilla sprays were my favorite for awhile but now they are hard to find.
One thing that is easily found at the Dollar Store is Carpet Fresh which is available in many scents but trust me, stick with the Vanilla. It is also made with baking soda which is another great product for eliminating odors.
This rug and room deodorizer also works great for kitty litter boxes, cars, basements, diaper pails, garbage pails, and upholstery. Also can help with musty closets, the hamper, etc.
See what other uses you can come up with.
If you enjoy this post or find it useful please leave a comment. Or Fave me with Technorati.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hello there! Tis the season for stale air, you're right! I hope you're being hit with the warm spell that we are here - I'm airing out the house today! My parents swear by opening the doors and windows for five minutes every few days, even in January in a Canadian winter.... I'm not so brave, so I'll have to try the vanilla - I've been using commercial air fresheners, which you're right only mask the problem. They're also not very healthy, I've been reading they're just not good for us. I've been trying good old baking soda when vacuuming, but vanilla is just such a warm, inviting fragrance isn't it? Anyway, thanks for the tip! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Nice post related to Odor Control with Vanilla, really your site so informative, Thanks to share.

Odour control