Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Muscle Spasms? Try Magnesium

I started having muscle spasms in my legs when I was pregnant with my first child. My Mother told me it was just a normal part of pregnancy so I didn't worry about it. They continued over the years but, though extremely painful, they didn't last long ,and didn't happen too often, so I still didn't worry about it.
At some point the spasms moved to the bottoms of my feet and seemed to be more frequent, but I was used to it by then, and thought nothing of it. Then one day I was walking out of a meeting and chatting with someone, when a really intense spasm left me unable to walk and lasted much longer than usual. The woman with me told me to drink milk. This was my first clue that my body was lacking something that I needed. I tried Calcium and it helped a bit, but it wasn't until I heard that Magnesium should be taken with Calcium and tried it, that I discovered it was wonderful for eliminating those muscle spasms.
Magnesium is a mineral which we would normally expect to be supplied by our diet. Today, though, such deficiencies are common as our eating habits have changed. The use of processed food seems to be the culprit here.

No comments: